UNSW Medicine offers a peer mentoring program to support first-year higher degree research candidates from their first steps in the candidature to their confirmation review. Whether you’re a mentor or a mentee, learn how our mentoring program can benefit you.
UNSW Medicine Peer Mentoring Program
|Mentees||1st year Medicine HDR candidates|
|Mentors||2nd to 4th year Medicine candidates|
|Term||Term 1 and Term 3|
What Benefits Will I Receive?
- Access to a supportive environment of peers to help you navigate a new environment
- Professional growth through mentorship
- Increased confidence for your confirmation review
Who are the Mentors?
You’ll be mentored by experienced and professionally trained senior higher degree research candidates who’ve been first-year Higher Degree Research (HDR) candidates themselves and want to provide practical support to you.
How do I Register?
At the Faculty HDR Induction for first-year candidates, newly enrolled candidate will be introduced to the Peer Mentoring Program and be invited to register for the mentee's training sessions. Once signed up, please ensure you attend all compulsory training sessions (in person or online).
What benefits will I receive?
- Professional Mentor Training session to improve your communication and conflict-resolution skills, increase your understanding of university support systems, and develop skills to organise and facilitate peer mentoring sessions
- Develop skills required for your next steps after completing your research degree
- Opportunities to create a network with other research candidates
- A rewarding, enjoyable and meaningful experience
What do I need to do?
- Attend pre-program mentor training sessions (four x 1-hour sessions, in person or online)
- Hold monthly face-to-face or online mentoring meeting with your assigned mentees for six months
What's required of me?
- You must be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year (FTE) HDR candidate and on track for on-time completion
- You’ve received a satisfactory confirmation review
- Availability for four pre-program mentor training sessions (in person or online)
- Hold monthly group mentoring sessions for six months
How do I register?
2nd, 3rd and 4th year HDR candidates will receive an email from us regarding the registration information of the upcoming mentor training either in December (for Term 1 program start) or August (for Term 3 program start). Please sign up via the provided registration link.
*Please note that attending the training does not serve as a commitment to becoming a mentor.