Pharmaceutical medicine is the medical scientific discipline concerned with the discovery, development, evaluation, registration, monitoring and medical aspects of developing medicines for therapeutic treatment.
The program provides scientific and other professional staff working within the pharmaceutical industry, government, academia and relevant professions with high-level education in the scientific, legal, ethical, regulatory and social issues relevant to the discovery, evaluation, registration and promotion of medicines.
Students will develop an understanding of business principles, be able to communicate effectively and act in an ethical manner with respect to all aspects of the development of therapeutic products.
If you are interested in being involved and making a difference in how medicines are developed, then this is the degree for you.
Please note that the Master of Pharmaceutical Medicine does not qualify you to practice as a pharmacist in Australia.
"From being a person with a clinical research background, I learned to appreciate the whole system from discovery, to development, regulation and funding of medicines.Once I started at Medicines Australia I was really able to draw on the skills from the UNSW program to see where all the pieces fit in the broader setting of medicines being available to Australian patients. It was an eye opener to the wider government policy settings that enable Australian patients to have access to the latest innovations through our publicly funded health care system, and it showed me where Australia fits in the context of the global industry. Again, being part of that influence was exciting.” - UNSW Medicine alumna Elizabeth de Somer, CEO of Medicines Australia
“If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of patients by contributing to the development of cutting-edge medicines, medical technology and cell and gene therapies, then the Master of Pharmaceutical Medicine degree is designed for you! Learn in a collaborative online environment with peers already working in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical technology industry and those wanting to make a difference by entering this industry. Share your diverse experiences and insights as you learn how medicines and therapeutic products are developed from experts with significant industry, academic, government and policy experience from around the world. Build your network as you are supported in your career aspirations by your faculty and peers. I invite you to join our world-wide student and alumni network as you advance your career in pharmaceutical medicine.” - Associate Professor Orin Chisholm, program director in Pharmaceutical Medicine
Why study Master of Pharmaceutical Medicine?
- Australasia’s leading postgraduate pharmaceutical medicine program, running for over 22 years
- Program is developed in partnership with the pharmaceutical industry and government regulators
- Taught by experts in the field
- Career opportunities for internships in industry, government or academia
- Fully online course
- Digital resources and webinars covering the latest innovations in drug development and industry trends
- Professional opportunities with an alumni network employed by key industry partners such as multinational pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government regulators and contract organisations
- Study at a high-ranking university: 43rd in 2020 QS world universities ranking and top ranking in Excellence in Research for Australia.
Degree at a glance
- Course code: 9370
- Postgraduate study
- Award type: Masters
- Fully online course
- 1 year full time or 2 years part – time
More information about the program and coursework details
Visit the UNSW Handbook.
Contact the Pharamaceutical Medicine Program team:
(02) 9385 2464