My undergraduate training was in Medicine, gaining MBChB with an intercalated BSc Hons (Epidemiology) at Sheffield University, England in 1990. Following registrar training positions in paediatrics and public health, I gained a Masters in Public Health from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (UCL) in 1999 and emigrated to Australia in 2000. I have been an academic at UNSW since 2004, with a focus on teaching as the L&T Fellow for the faculty since 2007, transferring to an Education Focussed role, 2017. In October 2019 I was award a PhD from School of Education, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, UNSW, thesis entitled: "A Vygotskian Exploration of Medical Students’ Critical Thinking Within Threshold Concept Liminal Spaces."
SOTL AND SUPPORT FOR TEACHING STAFF:
As Faculty of Medicine Learning and Teaching Fellow, I aim to promote and support learning and teaching and related scholarly activities within the faculty and across faculties at UNSW. Please see our support webpages: http://staff.med.unsw.edu.au/learning-teaching
I facilitate the community of practice Medical Education Interest Group in the Medical Faculty (the MedEd group). This group was formed in November 2006 and brings together medical faculty staff interested in education issues to support scholarly practice, to encourage research and develop new networks amongst its members. I organise the monthly seminar series, a monthly faculty-wide newsletter, the annual faculty learning and teaching forum, a Moodle support module and a MedEd group Twitter feed. For more details and link to sign up for the group, please see: http://staff.med.unsw.edu.au/medical-education-interest-group
INTEREST IN GENERIC STUDENT LEARNING:
Web-based / blended learning; teaching of threshold concepts; learning modes; critical thinking; self-directed learning; assessment methods; research into course evaluation.
- 2014 Australian Government, Office of Learning and Teaching Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning: "For leading the development of a vibrant medical education community that has fundamentally enhanced and enriched teaching and learning at the Faculty of Medicine."
- 2010 UNSW Medicine Teaching Excellence Award
- 2009 UNSW Medicine Award for Innovation in Learning & Teaching
SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS & PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- Member of ISSOTL 2007
- Member of ANZAME 2008 - present
- Member of HERDSA 2013-present
- Invited advisor for: AMSA policy (2013)
- Invited reviewer for: AMSJ (2013, 2016, 2018), MSJA (2014)
- Invited reviewer for: FHPE (2016)