Dr John Lock is Head of the Cancer Systems Microscopy lab within the School of Medical Sciences
Dr Lock completed his doctorate within the Institute for Molecular Bioscience at the University of Queensland. He then began postdoctoral research at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm with 5 years of back to back fellowships from the Wenner-Gren Foundation and the Swedish Cancer Foundation. He received accelerated promotion to Assistant Professor in recognition of his role in pioneering Systems Microscopy and leading a multidisciplinary team in its application to fundamental cancer research.
Dr Lock returned to Australia with a senior position in the lab of Professor Katharina Gaus at UNSW, within the EMBL Node for Single Molecule Science. He helped motivate and drive formation of a dedicated Systems Microscopy facility with funding support from the Australian Research Council and the prestigious Ramaciotti Biomedical Research Award. This success enabled his initiation of the Cancer Systems Microscopy (CSM) lab in 2018.
The CSM lab has since formed collaborations with an array of fundamental and translational cancer researchers, cancer clinicians, commercial microscopy and automation technology developers, as well as data science, machine learning and visual analytics experts. This forms a truly multidisciplinary ecosystem of interactions. At the same time, Dr Lock co-founded (with Professor Sarah Russell, PeterMacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne) the Systems Microscopy Australia Network to build and extend multidisciplinary capacity and collaborations across Australia and beyond, and has become a co-organiser of the Functional High Throughput Technologies Australia meeting, which focuses on screeing-related technologies and their applications to drug discovery, precision medicine and functional genomics.
Current Appointments & Positions Held
- Senior Lecturer, Head of Cancer Systems Microscopy lab, Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences
- Affiliate Researcher, Ingham Institute for Applied Medical Research
- Steering Committee Member for Expanded Perception and Interaction Centre (EPICentre) (UNSW Faculty of Art & Design) (School of Medical Sciences Representative)
- School of Medical Sciences Honours Committee Member
- Co-founder, Systems Microscopy Australia Network
- Co-organiser, Functional High Throughput Technologies Australia meeting
Membership in Societies
- Australian and New Zealand Society for Cell and Developmental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Australian Microscopy & Microanalysis Society
Cell Biology, Cancer, Adhesion, Migration, Signalling, Imaging, Microscopy, Statistics, Data Visualisation, Machine Learning