- Read all information available on our website, so that you are aware of the dates and deadlines, the selection process and other important details. You can navigate to each page using the menu on the right-hand side. The sections available are:
- Important Dates
- Selection for Interview
- Selection for Offer
- Special Entry Schemes
- Government Policies
- Contact Us
- Apply for and sit UCAT ANZ (University Clinical Aptitude Test for Australia and New Zealand).
- Start your application on the Medicine Application Portal (MAP). Once you have started your application, you will receive an e-mail containing your password (receipt). This will allow you to log back in and work on your application. You must ensure that you have completed and submitted your application by the deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted under any circumstances. Applications saved as draft (not submitted) will not be considered under any circumstances.
- Complete the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) application by the closing date.
- Attend the Medicine interview (by invitation only).
- Wait for the outcome of your application. The final ranking of applicants will be completed in January and a list of selected students will be sent to UAC. If you are accepted, your offer will be available through your UAC account.
- Accept, defer or decline your offer through UNSW Accept Online as instructed.
- Read the UNSW Medicine welcome e-mail with full instructions for enrolment, NSW Health requirements, timetabling etc.
- Enrol in your courses.
- Pay your tuition fees or get a student loan.
Admission process special entry schemes
Additional/different steps may need to be taken by applicants that apply under one of our special entry schemes. Additional information and deadlines are available in our Special Entry Schemes section.
Information for non-NSW/ACT applicants
Since implementing an interview as part of the selection process, UNSW Medicine's experience is that the preference for almost all interstate applicants is to enter a medical school in their home state. Most non-NSW/ACT applicants apply to UNSW Medicine just in case they are not offered a place in a medical school closer to home. As a result, fewer than 5% of interstate applicants who attend an interview eventually enrol in our course.
To save interstate applicants from the very significant time and expense of travelling to Sydney for an interview, applicants who live outside of New South Wales or Australian Capital Territory are usually not interviewed until late January.
The process we have developed allows an interstate applicant to have the opportunity to have UNSW Medicine as a preference, and to attend an interview at UNSW should they not be offered a place in their home state medical school.
The process works as follows:
- NSW/ACT applicants are selected for the December interview round immediately after release of their ATAR.
- NSW/ACT applicants are ranked and offers are released through UAC in January Round 1.
- Interstate/overseas applicants are selected based on their ATAR (or equivalent) and UCAT ANZ in early January (as soon as all results are available). Applicants whose academic result/UCAT ANZ combination is above the UNSW main round cut-off will be invited to an interview.
- The outcome of the first round of offers for places in interstate medical schools will be known around mid-January.
- Applicants who were selected for an interview at UNSW will have a chance to come for an interview in late-January if they still wish to continue with their application.
Applicants interviewed in late-January will be subject to exactly the same interview and selection process as those interviewed in December. If the results of their interview, together with their academic and UCAT ANZ results exceed the cut-off that was required for entry into UNSW Medicine in January Round 1, they will be offered a place in UNSW Medicine program in February Round 1 (UNSW Medicine puts places aside for these late round offers).
It must be stressed that applicants interviewed in January will not be disadvantaged in any way in this process.
Late exam results
Applications cannot be considered if results or changes to results are made available after applicants have been selected for our last interview Round in January (see Important Dates for details).