Humans and Machines: A quest for better mental health
Keynote Address: Professor Thomas Insel M.D.
Thomas R. lnsel, M.D., a neuroscientist and psychiatrist, has served as Director of Clinical Neuroscience at Verily formerly Google) Life Sciences since December 2015. Previously he was Director of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), the $1.5B component of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) committed to research on mental disorders, from 2002 until 2015.
During his tenure, Dr. Insel focused on the genetics and neurobiology of mental disorders as well as transforming approaches to diagnosis and treatment. Prior to serving as NIMH Director, Dr. Insel was Professor of Psychiatry at Emory University where he was founding director of the Center for Behavioral Neuroscience and director of the Yerkes Regional Primate Center in Atlanta. Dr. Insel’s research has examined the neural basis of complex social behaviors, including maternal care and attachment. A member of the National Academy of Medicine, he has received numerous national and international awards and served in several leadership roles at NIH, including as founding co-leader of both the NIH BRAIN Initiative and the NIH Neuroscience Blueprint and interim Director of the National Center for Accelerating Translational Sciences (NCATS).
• Prof Nicholas Christakis, Institute for Network Science, Yale University USA
• Prof Helen Christensen, Black Dog Institute
• Prof Ian Hickie AM, Brain and Mind Centre, University of Sydney
• Prof John Mattick AO, Garvan Institute of Medical Research
• Prof Rafa Calvo, School of Information and Electrical Engineering, University of Sydney
• A/Prof Frances Kay-Lambkin, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Newcastle
• A/Prof Mari Velonaki, National Institute for Experimental Art, University of NSW
• Prof Sally Cripps, Sydney Business School, University of Sydney
• Mr Martin Taylor, StartVR
• Mr Travis Murphy, SAS Australia and New Zealand
• Prof Svetha Ventakesh, Centre for Pattern Recognition and Data Analytics, Deakin University
• Dr Bridianne O’Dea, Black Dog Institute
• Dr Mark Larsen, Black Dog Institute
• A/Prof Fabio Ramos, School of Information Technologies, University of Sydney
• Dr Tjeerd Boonstra, Black Dog Institute
• Dr Mads Frost, Monsenso
Refreshments will be provided.