Aligned with UNSW's 2025 Strategy to be an international exemplar in equity, diversity and inclusion, UNSW Medicine embraces the diversity and cultural richness of our community to ensure all staff and students are provided with the opportunity to achieve their full potential regardless of their gender, cultural background and Indigenous origin, (dis)ability, and sexual orientation or identity.
Medicine's Equity, Diversity and Inclusion 2025 vision for its staff and students is that:
- our workforce reflects the diversity of the community we support;
- our place of work is one of equity and inclusion where success is a result of the talents of all; and
- our people actively remove the obstacles faced by women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and people with a disability, in particular with respect to career development, returning to work, and promotion.
We have set targets and continually monitor our progress in relation to gender, low socioeconomic status and indigenous students.
- Increase in female staff representation at senior levels (professional and academic) so that they are 50/50 by 2025.
- Improved progression of women through undergraduate, postgraduate and senior lecturer stages in academic career.
- Improved consistency across all schools, centres and institutes with respect to gender balance at all academic and professional staff levels.
Low Socioeconomic Status
- Low SES students to make up 9% of student cohort by 2022 and 10% by 2025.
- Indigenous students to make up 2.5% of student cohort by 2022 and 3% by 2025.
- Participation of faculty staff in equity, diversity and inclusion training and development programs run within the faculty and university, as well as externally.
- Improved attitudes to and increased awareness of equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives and issues.
- 100% completion of induction training for all new employees and exit interviews for all departing individuals.
- Medicine Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (MEDIC)
- Priority Areas
- EDI Plan
- Apte Scholarship
- Women in Medicine