Please ensure that you have read all Clerkship information before commencing application.
- Submit an initial online application with all your contact details, requested dates and top three specialisation/discipline preferences.
- A part-completed application form will be emailed to you to download. The downloaded application must be given to your medical school for completion and sign-off.
- Supporting documents must then be posted or couriered to the Clerkship Co-ordinator. At this stage of the application process, emailed or faxed copies will not be accepted.
- Your application will not progress until all supporting documentation and application fee is received by the Clerkship Co-ordinator.
Required Supporting Documents
Your printed application form with the last page of the application completed/endorsed by your medical school
Students applying from a non-English speaking Medical School must provide evidence of English Proficiency
Letter of Good Standing from your medical school
Academic transcript from your institution
Evidence of your medical school's medical indemnity insurance for you while on Clerkship (this must indicate that you are covered for professional medical indemnity, not only travel and personal health insurance)
PLEASE NOTE: If applying for a Trauma placement with the Trauma Department, Liverpool Hospital, an outline of your interest in, and reasons for placement, must also accompany the CV.
Criminal Record Statement from the appropriate authority in your country
Australian applicants must obtain a National Police Certificate issued by a State/Territory Police service. Please check with your local Police service as to how to obtain this in your State/Territory.
International students must provide a criminal record check/statement from the appropriate authority within their own country at the time of application and are required to forward this statement to UNSW with the application form. Once an offer of placement has been made, international students will also have to provide an Australian Federal Police (AFP) Check certificate.
An online application and payment option can be found at AFP certificates.
When filling your police check application indicate the following:
Purpose Type: Commonwealth purpose/Employment
Purpose of check: Care of children/Intellectually disabled/Aged Care staff/volunteers (Code 37 for paper applications)
Type of Check: Name Check Only (fingerprints are not necessary).
- Upon receipt of your initial supporting documents, a request for your preferred placement will be forwarded to your preferred hospital via the relevant UNSW Medicine Clinical School.
- When a placement and supervisor has been secured, an offer will be emailed to you. ** Please be aware that it can sometimes take up to 6-8 weeks before you will know the outcome of your request**
- Accepting your offer:
i) To secure your placement you will be required to complete the Clerkship Administration fee payment and upload your "Acceptance of Offer" within 2 weeks of receiving your placement offer or your placement will be withdrawn.
ii) All relevant immunisation / Criminal Record Check paperwork, as required by the NSW Department of Health, must be uploaded to your application as soon as possible and at least 8 weeks prior to your placement commencement date. Initial checking or your paperwork will be undertaken by a health professional to ensure you comply with NSW Health regulations.
4. Two weeks before your Clerkship commencement date, you will receive an email from the Clerkships Co-ordinator with further information and instructions for obtaining your UNSW student ID card and where to report on your first day of placement.